Memo

Memo from CASSIPEASWORLD's Admin.

Happy Fasting to all Muslims around the world. We will SEMI-HIATUS about a few months from now. Moreover, some of us will take SPM (Malaysian National Examinations) this year. Wish us the best!

Thursday 31 March 2011

G-Dragon's Interview on W Korea Magazine April Edition

 
W: When you were doing an interview for your solo album 2 years ago, this is what you wrote. ‘G-Dragon is not an idol. He’s an icon.’ When I see Big Bang now, I think you guys passed the image of idol.
GD: I think people’s view of us and our place within the 2 years and 3 months have changed. All that time, the age average have decreased and we have aged a little bit more. I’m kind of embarrassed to be called an idol and I think we’re currently on our way to becoming a musician.

W: After ‘Lies,’ the hook songs were overflowing and you came back by throwing away that style. As a producer for this new album, did you think that you had to make music that was different from your common idol songs?
GD: I did think that we had to be different. We could have taken the easy way, but I thought we shouldn’t, so we continuously changed the song which took a long time. The title song, ‘Tonight,’ was actually made one and a half years ago and we spent all that time changing it. While resting, I watched a lot of music programs and it wasn’t the certain style of music, but the time spent on the whole song in general was too fast which made me feel a bit disappointed. Before, when I listened to a song, that song would become the memory that I had during that time. But these days, the songs don’t have a lingering scent or leave a certain memory for the listeners. I wanted to make those kind of songs. A song that will be loved by many and also becomes a memory for the listeners. Because we went through this process, people become more attached to this album.

W: I think this is an album where all five of your individual skills and abilities were shown. As a producer, what were you trying to pick out from the members?
GD: It’s the same for me as well as the members, but before, within Big Bang, one person was the center. But as the members did their individual activities, they were able to obtain their own color for sure. I thought right now was the time for the five of us to gather together because we’re at our highest. I collaborated with them like a star to star feeling, so I worked with them with the thought that I couldn’t let one be buried among the others. The ability to not let one’s part flood away. As individuals, our music style and skills have to be alive so that we can see the effect each of our synergy has and also for the flow of the entire song, I saw it as doing our best. For example, in Daesung’s case, compared to the other members, it has been a while since many have seen him, so he tried to show that he definitely changed. Daesung’s strength is his husky voice and depending on how you listen to it, it can be a bright voice or it can be the voice of a bad guy. In order to capture that voice, we fixed ‘Cafe’ a lot. Because we were satisfied with the results of the song, I felt Daesung’s part was poured out.

W:I feel like the title song, ‘Tonight,’ was arranged minimally but at the same time you gave it a sense of fun and seems like you prepared a lot for that.
GD: The way people listen to music have changed to mobile these days, so we made a section for ringtones and coloring. For those who listen to the music that way, it’s not only the chorus but I wanted people to like each of the member’s parts as well. The dilemma of what to show on stage, performance-wise, is reflected in some parts of the song. When it explodes, it should definitely explode and when we go up again, I wanted to give off the feeling that this part is the climax. For the part where the guitar solo comes up, since I’ve done a lot of concerts, it was an idea that was influenced by concerts. I had the thought of wanting to show an upgraded performance to reflect my experience in holding many concerts.

W: When you were a duo with TOP, I felt like you were trying to show that you were doing music because it’s fun for you. Now that that time has passed, what part of you have changed now that you’re back to being Big Bang?
GD: Like the song, ‘Knock Out,’ I wanted to experiment many songs within Big Bang. I saw that even the song like ‘Knock Out’ can be loved by people in Korea and felt hope that this kind of music can become a trend one day. A conflict can happen easily within the group, musically. But for us, we’re able to relieve that conflict through unit activities and solo activities. There are songs that we’re able to do as Big Bang and songs we can do when we’re doing solo activities.

W: You slightly touched on mobile use, do you tend to worry about the system of the music industry?
GD: Because the board is spinning so fast, this situation can be difficult for those who are working with music. Even though we worked 2 years to release this album when we perform on music programs for 3 weeks or even for a month, we have to change the song. If not, then we have no way of promoting our songs and that’s how the system works. Within those 3 weeks, the writers are judged on everything so I’m sure there are parts where they feel that it’s unfair. Many idol teams believe the reason that you can become popular by relying on one song and so they tend to rely on the writers a lot. That’s why they tend to clash a lot, which is a problem. I tend to think about this kind of things a lot because I feel vexed.

W: You seem to have become more of an adult now than when you came out with a solo album 2 years ago. Do you feel that yourself?
GD: I can only feel about these kinds of things if that’s how other people see me as (laughs). I think I’m feeling the same things the people in their 20′s feel at that age so I think I’m going out well.

W: But that age group date a lot right?
GD: Dating is dating, but I experienced a lot of pain while I was doing my solo activities. I thought about a lot of things, and as I cleaned up those pains, I think I became a bit more free. I was much younger when I was doing my solo activities and I think there were a lot of things I needed to take care of by myself. If I was in the learning position before, now, I think I’m able to enjoy a lot more. Whether it’s on stage or a relationship with someone.

W: As I was preparing for this interview, I listened to G-Dragon’s first solo album and it’s good. Because this album had a lot of issues, I think it actually received a lot of reviews, musically.
GD: I also listened to it all of a sudden about a week ago in the car, but I felt embarrassed (laughs). During that time, my confidence was all grouped together. Personally, I think an album is like a journal. When I’m in my 60s, 70′s, I can look back at my album and the lyrics and think back of who I was in love with and can also know about my thought during that time. But my solo album journal is very childish. I’m sure everyone goes through those kinds of times, but I felt a squirming feeling (laughs). I think it’ll be better if I took out those energy. I don’t know when it’s going to be, but I’m thinking about my 2nd solo album and I’m currently preparing for it. Maybe as fast as next year?

Source: GD-paradise.com
Translated by: solshin3 @ 21bangs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment